Councilman Zack Reed's February Blog | Politics
Governor Kasich, keep Ohio’s promises
Hey Governor Kasich!
The election’s over. Can you PLEASE get off our backs and give Northeast Ohio a chance to move forward?
Ohio’s Republican Governor, John Kasich, has been in office for more than a year. He was elected governor after campaigning for smaller government and a business friendly atmosphere in Ohio to jumpstart our economy.
Well Gov. Kasich, I’m all for smaller government, but your actions and intentions lean toward a bigger, overreaching government. You policies and actions taken by your administration are choking Cleveland and other cities – big and small – across our great state.
It’s time for our governor to stop being an obstacle for development and allow Cleveland the opportunity to rebuild and rebrand our neighborhoods, our communities and our city. Cleveland is on the brink of major changes and possibilities. We are finally climbing out of the recession and reimagining how our city can develop.
However, many of these opportunities are facing roadblocks for our elected governor who promised growth.
Under Governor Kasich’s leadership Cleveland has encountered the following:
- The broken promise to build an $80 million mental health hospital along the Euclid Corridor resulting in a loss of 500 jobs and critical medical services to thousands of Clevelanders
- Reneging on a past promise to help cities by cutting 25% of the local government fund in 2011 and 50% in 2012, therefore, resulting in layoffs of vital safety forces personnel.
- A delay in your commission’s licensing of the $450 million Horseshoe Cleveland Casino means 1,600 workers cannot start their new jobs in Cleveland
- The broken promise to provide funding for the $80 million West Shoreway project that would create a boulevard and easy access to the lake
- And your latest decision to build half of the Innerbelt bridge today and the second half in 2023, therefore, affecting thousands of jobs and risking drivers’ safety
All of these projects mean thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in economic development for Northeast Ohio.
Governor Kasich. Jobs are not Republican or Democratic. They are progress.
What is your real motive here Governor? Are you trying to blackmail us into privatizing the turnpike?
Governor Kasich, please get off our back!
Cleveland City Councilman Zack Reed