Garden tips from The Ohio State University | Environment
- Plant a tree for Earth Day
- Plant trees, shrubs and perennials as soil conditions allow.
- Check roses for black spot and insect pests.
- Spread aged manure and humus around woody plants, keeping it at least four inches from the trunk.
- Create a grass-free zone around trees in the lawn and apply organic mulch over the roots.
- Plant scab-resistant varieties of potato.
- Use horticultural oil to control spruce spider mites.
- Remove tent caterpillar nests from fruit trees.
- Plant a row for the hungry in your vegetable garden.